Wednesday, November 30, 2016

CCSF Blog Carnival: Day 4

What COBs/agents/breeds/metarooms/etc do you use the most? What would you like to see more of? Less of? What pet peeves do you have with add-ons? What do you love to see?

To be honest, I don't actually use that much third party stuff on a regular basis unless I'm going for a themed world or playing C1/C2, aside from a few of my own tweaks like the nametags. I guess I don't really like to clutter my worlds with agents I don't really need. As long as there are accessible food, fruit, and starch sources, along with appropriate toys and ways for creatures to get around, I don't feel the need to add much extra. Often I run my worlds with a purpose in mind, and don't often want to add anything that doesn't contribute to that purpose.

There is one huge exception to this, however, and that's the CFE Norns. They are so far improved over the stock genomes that I have a hard time using anything else. I haven't had a chance to try out their successor, the CFF Norns, but I've heard a lot of good things about them too.

What would I like to see more of? Anything, really. Even though I don't personally use them very often, I love to see people planning and developing-- I believe fanmade content is the reason this community has lasted so long and I think it's important that stuff continues to be developed to keep the game interesting for the majority of the playerbase. One of my goals in developing the Garden Box was to create easy-to-use templates to get others developing their own stuff, and a lot of my future goals lean towards creating tools and guides to make development even easier. I think I would especially like to see more large collaborative efforts between community members, in which developers of all skill levels can contribute in some part (the Biodome was pretty fantastic).

If we're talking personally though, I would like more than anything to see the development of external tools to assist the Creatures game engine, or just total rewrites like openC2E aimed to do. I would love to be no longer be limited within the constraints of the engine when developing.
I would also love to see the exploration of ways to make Creatures multiplayer, whether in a "Twitch Plays" fashion or with another web interface such as Netures. I would love to see the warp brought back in any form or fashion. These are all fairly tremendous undertakings that are far outside my range of skill, but I guess I still hold out hope that one day they might be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment