Friday, May 22, 2009

Lifts can go die in a fire.

So.... that metaroom I'll never make.... yeah...

Despite my painful lack of knowledge in CAOSing I've spent the last week and a half mapping out the room (which wasn't too bad) and then... trying to make it navigatable. Which... means trying to add lifts.

That... was pretty much the most painful thing I've ever done, CAOS-wise. But after trying about ten different approaches and ripping apart countless other versions of lift scripts, I finally managed to piece together some working lifts.

The hardest part by far was my four-level lift in the center of the room. I'm not sure I coded it in the most efficient manner, but it works beautifully.

I believe scripting lifts must be a Creatures developer's rite of passage. I certainly feel a lot more confident about my ability to... dare I say it... maybe... someday finish this room. Gasp.

I mean, I already have done far more than I ever thought I could do. I now have a fully-functional, if quite barren, metaroom. Built from the ground up with my own two paws.

I've been referring to it in my notes as Project BattleStance for some time now. The name may or may not change as time goes on, but right now it's rather fitting. I have developed quite a list of things to do for this project... next I figure I'll add in the foreground overlays, then I'm going to start working on the plants and critters so it will at least function as an inhabitable metaroom.

Then I get to start working on all the fun stuff that makes the metaroom unique... the grendel egg-layer, the invisible mind arrows for the nesting/breeding/fighting behavior (I've been referring to them as "enviromental instincts" in my notes), and all the tools to help against the killer grendels... I have an interesting complex system planned for that...

It's certainly not going to be an average metaroom in the least. I'm not sure it'll even go over well, but I suppose I am building this for my own personal use, and if it satisfies my needs, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment